History of the Georgian Theater is derived from the distant past. In the Kingdom of Colchis, in the 8th century BC, there was Arena near present-day Kutaisi, where theatrical performances were held. In Uplistsikhe which is ancient tow of caves the theater building, orchestra and audience part were found.
After declaring Christianity as the state religion in Georgia the church theater and drama were created.
The revival of Georgian professional theater begins in 1850. Leading Georgian figures are fighting for the development of the Georgian theater with Giorgi Eristavi.
In the Georgian theater the special epoch was created bytwo great directors Sandro Akhmeteli and Kote Marjanishvili. Sandro Akhmeteli’s scenic masterpieces attracted the attention of the world theatrical elite and brought the first international recognition to the Georgian Theater.
The success of famous directors of modern Georgian theatre is connected with Mikheil Tumanishvili, Robert Sturua and Temur Chkheidze. Shota Rustaveli State Theater led by R. Sturua held triumphal tours in the five continents of the world under Soviet regime.
Marjanishvili, Rustaveli, Panthoni, Marionette, Tumanishvili, Griboedov, Royal District and other theaters are successfully functioning in Georgia today.